Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The first 24 hours can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of High Point provides timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. What can you do until help arrives? Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring. Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery. Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil. Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet. Make sure to not wash any walls or painted surfaces. Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery. Do not clean any electrical equipment. And do not send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (336) 884-0063
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.