How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or idling cars left running in garages. Taking some basic, precationary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure to have fuel-burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year. Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home. Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked. If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueling engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice, or other materials. Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris. Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open. And finally, use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your the home.